Established to inform its readers about all things related to our homeland and its respective communities throughout the world, TNH is now providing THI’s New Leaders (40-years-old and younger), with a new platform to showcase their ideas and to engage their communities in a deeper, more meaningful way while simultaneously building a bridge to Greece and Cyprus. Our next featured New Leader is Marianthi Vlachos. Get to know her below!
Last Name, First Name
- Vlachos, Marianthi
- Louisiana State University
What city do you live in?
- New York City
Where in Greece are you from?
- Kefalonia and Rhodes
What motivated you to get involved with THI?
- I love that THI supports a broad range of organizations in Greece. The work they do makes real change and helps so many. I also love the events THI hosts in New York City; they give our community here an invaluable way to stay connected.
What do you hope to achieve through THI?
- Greece has given the world so much, I want to do what I can to reciprocate. I know THI offers the framework to make actionable change in Greece.
Favorite activity to take part in where you live?
- Lunch at Mina’s in MoMA PS1, see the museum’s latest show, then go for a walk at the Gantry Plaza State Park. The view of Manhattan from there is incredible.
Favorite place to take your non-Greek friends when they visit you in Greece?
- I love taking them to my favorite spots in Central Athens.
Go-to Greek dish/drink when you’re missing the homeland?
- Freddo cappuccino, always sketo.
Favorite Greek product you can find outside of Greece?
- Melanthia Semi Sparkling Rose – it’s delicious!
Top three people of Greek/Cypriot descent you admire?
- Patricia Field
- Stellene Volandes
- Alekos Fassianos
One piece of advice an elder has given you that has proved invaluable?
- Work hard and always take the high road.
Favorite quote from a Greek philosopher?
- “Don’t explain your philosophy. Embody it.” – Epictetus
One Greek/Cypriot tradition you’ll never stop keeping?
- Big Greek Easters with my family in Florida.
- Do what you love and the rest will follow.